Sunday, 20 January 2013

Airbrushing

Last year I had a go with the Citadel spray gun and it didn't go well. I could never get the consistency right and if I got close, the pressure would go and it'd be another £6 or so for a can of propellant. In total I think the effort cost me somewhere in the region of £50 and amounted to a poorly based Storm Raven.


However, having seen some truly fantastic examples of what proper airbrushing could do I wanted to have another go, though this time with some proper kit. As Christmas was approaching, I slapped it on the top of my wish list and my Father came up trumps, getting me a compressor and an impressive looking airbrush. Now, I'm going to put my hand up and say I don't know the first thing about any of this stuff but I do know that what I have seems to be working well and with the Vallejo Model Air paints to hand I'm enjoying experimenting.

The kit I received was an Expo AB602 compressor and a duel-action gravity feed airbrush. The compressor is great, it's about the size of a Gamecube (remember those?) is quiet and has an automatic cut off when the pressure reaches 40psi - this is good because it means I don't have to keep an eye on it while I'm working - it also restarts when the pressure drops back to about 30psi so I get a constant flow throughout.
The airbrush took a while to get right, I spent an afternoon stripping it down and rebuilding it over and over again so I can do it quite quickly, this makes cleaning a lot easier. It takes a bit of tweaking to get the flow and spread right but thats more down to me using trial and error than it not being any good. I've no doubt that by pro standards it's not great but it does fine by me and I'm not spending hundreds of pounds on this stuff!

So far I've mostly been spraying some Eldar tanks and getting used to the idea of layering and blending however I had some blue paints arrive the other day and have been undercoating my Thunderhawk this weekend. I need to get another, slightly lighter shade to finish the armour but at the moment I'm pleased with how things are progressing.

Overall I'm pleased I've given airbrushing another go though I need to get some face masks, my improve scarf wrap hasn't worked - last time I blew my nose it was the same colour as the Thunderhawk...Apothecary!

3 comments:

  1. Well done on the airbrush. the citadel spray gun is a joke, i dont even think it should be sols as it works so poorly.

    however airbrushes, are amazing!

    look forward to seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a big part of the problem with the spray gun is that the Citadel paints aren't built for airbrushing but it takes a can of propellant to figure that out :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have paint mask with filters, but you could easily just use those packs of 5 or six paper type ones you get at the hardware. Really with acrylics your just want to keep the particulate out as there are no fumes. Consider building a spray booth though to cut down on overspray. The Unrealistic Artist has a great article about that on his blog!

    ReplyDelete