Friday, 1 March 2013

Reflections on Battle for the Abyss

I recently finished the rather good Battle for the Abyss and thought I'd spend some time reflecting on the story.

For those who aren't familiar with it, Abyss recounts the dogged pursuit of a massive Word Bearer's ship on route to destroy the Ultramarine home world of Macragge. The Imperial forces are a mish mash of legions and it was interesting to read the dynamic between them. Getting to know the Astartes and to see how crafted and varied their personalities were was really enjoyable, it was also good to see some of the traitor legions not being traitors (especially the World Eaters who have never gone down well in most other narratives!)

Space Wolves feature heavily and the interplay between them, the Ultramarines and a captain from the Thousand Sons was great, the Space Wolves loathing of psychic 'witchcraft' is palpable and the staunch bearing of the Ultramarines is also much in evidence. There is a lot of heroism in the book and a great deal of sacrifice, though I found that I was not as attached to these characters as I was to say, Nathaniel Garro in Flight of the Eisenstein or Captain Ventanus in Know No Fear.

Surprisingly I have no desire to build something from the book which must be a first... I've recently bought a 1,200 Raven Guard army after reading Deliverence Lost and I've built a Nathaniel Garro after reading Flight.

I've just started reading Fear to Tread, I'm about 40 pages in and have already planned a heresy era Blood Angels force based on the MkIV Assault Marine multipack thing from FW...It's going to remain theoretical for a while because a) I've got to paint my Raven Guard Kill Team before Operation Mortalis in April and b) I have to get my Thunderhawk ready for a conversion competition at my local store.

As always I have too much to do...



1 comment:

  1. I didn't much care for this book and it kinda had a 'filler' feel to it (i.e.: rather than move the series along, they're just milking t for all its worth). That said, the World Eaters Character Skrall (I think, been a while since reading it) was by far the most redeeming part of the book, and a great character overall.

    ReplyDelete