Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Why did I buy HH: Massacre?

Let me start by saying that Massacre part 1 is a spectacular book, brilliantly written and top quality print - just as good as book 1.

However, having had it for the past week I'm not sure why I bought it...I say this because although there is a lot of interesting fluff, in terms of actual rules there aren't more than 2, maybe 3 models in the list that I might actually use (Fell Glaive and the Sicaran). I thought the Fire Raptor was in there but I suppose that was my own fault for not checking. The 4 Legions have some cool rules (Night Lords are very cool) but with FW being the cost that it is, at the moment I can't see me starting up another force to make use of them any time soon.


So I say again, why did I buy it and why have I been thinking about it since I first bought the first book? The only conclusion I can draw is that it is the same issue I spoke about with the SM collectors edition codex - lovely but not necessary, a nice thing to have on the bookshelf but how often will it actually be taken off?

Now, I might use some models form book 3 (and if I were to start a new army, it would probably be Raven Guard) I don't need book 4 (Prospero) I will need book 5 (Calth! Hoorah!) and I'm not sure I'll need book 6 (Signus Prime)...but if I only buy the ones I need, I won't have a full set and we can't have that now can we...still, it's not like they're £70 or anything...oh.

 I know people who buy every codex and army book 'just because' not for any tactical reason but purely because they want the full set. I think this is slightly ridiculous myself but that doesn't stop me buying them too! Am I the only one who feels this way? Do you guys have books on the shelf you've flicked through once and suspect you'll never look at again? If so, what can we do about it?

2 comments:

  1. Special Edition Dark Angels Codex..... why? Why did I pick it up???? ~_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Me too! I bought it and then promptly decided to become a cabinet painter and stop playing. Got the gamer ed of 6th too. I is dumb. Still haven't finished painting my DV set either. I bought massacre for the fluff and art work really. I won't lie. I will likely get them all because HH is something I have been wondering about since I got into the hobby back in the RT days and they just had little short stories and glimpses into the "past". I have all the novels and audio books for HH too though I flat out refuse to buy in on the hardcovers. I just wait 6 months for the legacy edition paperbacks. I is dumb, kinda XD

      Delete