Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Armies on Parade 2014

Last year I entered AoP for the first time and won gold at my local store with my Celestial Lions advancing into a canyon. The board was based on the short(ish) story Blood and Fire by ADB, it was a lot of fun to build and I enjoyed adding some little touches to try to get it to marry up with the book.

This year I'm planning on doing a Dark Elves board based on the city of Har Ganeth as described in the Black Library book Warpsword. Given my limited talent for miniature scale architecture I'm not sure I fancy tackling the inside of the city but there is a great description of the white marble walls stained with bloody hand prints and the vast entrance way with a leering dragon's head - at least I think that's right, I might need to check...  

My Dark Elf army is a good size and already painted to match the colours and livery of Har Ganeth, all that's missing are a troupe of Witches to really set it in place. Good thing I've ordered some then! The rough plan is to build the entrance and walls on a raised slope with a road leading in which is lined with piles of skulls. The infantry and cavalry regiments will be lined up outside the city on movement trays but the Witch elves will be streaming out of the city entrance behind a Cauldron of blood. Along the walls will be some archers and if the dragon head is in the book I'll carve one from foam and make it' sees glow with witch fire...and possibly smoke depending on how technical I'm feeling (there won't be any smoke...)

I'd love to convert the cauldron so it glowed red but until I get the model I won't know how feasible that is. If anyone out there has used LEDs on their models before, how did you go about it? 

Also, if you guys are doing AoP this year, what are your plans?


1 comment:

  1. You may want to hang fire on starting your board. I'd already been told this time last it was going ahead so was worried and contacted GW HQ, they said they don't know if it will or will not take place and to check White Dwarf daily online for any news. I wrote a blogpost about here: http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-death-of-project-x-armies-on-parade.html

    ReplyDelete