Sunday, 30 November 2014

End Times: Khaine Review


I was/am one of the lucky few who were able to get a copy of the ET:K hardback. Last Friday I was constantly clicking refresh on the GW site from around 1900 until they came up at 1934(it) and managed to get in quickly. I hear they sold out in under 5 minutes…


It’s seemed like a long week since ordering that and waiting for confirmation that it had indeed been sent to my local store ready for collection yesterday. I arrived at 0945 (store opens at 1000) and there were already six people lining up outside the store, the first guy had been there for an hour already. The manager opened the door and announced that he only had one copy on the shelves and it was going to the guy who got to the store first - the other five cursed audibly and walked off.


So  Khaine, well my first impressions of the book are “Wow” for £40 it seems like a bargain. I haven't seen any of the other ET books but I was blown away with the quality of this product. The artwork is fantastic, a very tasteful watercolour style throughout. The book is weighty, the pages thick and they have that smell…you know the one I mean. The fluff book talks about a huge number of battles in great detail explaining not just the individuals involved but also the forces they commanded. These are then put into proper army lists in the rules book which makes it easy to stylise your armies to fit each type of faction. Having looked at these army lists, I’ve realised that my current Dark Elves army is very much geared towards the Khaine (lots of Executioners and Witch Elves) so I might have to go with Tyrion as my main guy instead of Malekith, at least to start with…

At 144 pages, I haven't had a chance to read through all of it but what I have read so far has been really interesting, with the paperback no doubt being released soon I won’t spoil anything but if you missed out this time, I envy you the opportunity of getting to read it for the first time - you won’t be disappointed.


As an aside, I also managed to pick up a copy of Gav Thorpe’s tie in novel Khaine which looks great too, however the ET: battle magic cards were a bit boring, the spells are cool but the presentation seems to be very much an after thought…

Here are some more snaps from the rest of the book, if you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try and answer them for you.







3 comments:

  1. These books really make me excited that they might do something similar for 40k someday. They really upped the quality on these, and they look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, End Times 40k would be awesome!

      Delete
  2. I rocked up to my store and there were a dozen guys there waiting and what the manager did was ask for names to go into the hat to buy the two copies he had. I was lucky enough to be one of them. I was also lucky enough to buy (in-store) the Glottkin book which is every bit as good as Khaine.
    Like you I'm surprised by how much you get for the price. It's only a few dollars more than a codex but the content feels several times that and the storytelling is just... well... I found it hard to put down. It's like a novel with pictures. Some of the unit descriptions, such as you have pictured above, are really inspiring. I don't have the first book, I'll have to get it in softcover.

    ReplyDelete