I've just got back from my in-laws and a long awaited visit to TripleHelix Wargames in Westbury, because of how they operate I had to place my order earlier in the week, I'd been procrastinating for a long time but eventually settled on a basic core army from which I can expand as I go forward. To that end I now have in my possession an Endrinmaster, Arkanaught Frigate, Arkanaught Company and a trio of Endrinriggers.
Saturday, 27 May 2017
A mate at my local gaming club got me into this after badgering me relentlessly for a few weeks. It's a sci-fi D10 game from Warlord Games and is essentially Bolt Action on steroids...and in space. The universe is very much still in its infancy but things are starting to take shape, I haven't delved too much into the background of the universe but essentially there are these warp gate-sequences things that various empires are fighting to take control of. It's a fairly standard premise but it's got enough flavour to it to make it stand out.
My recent post on the state of my 'to do list' made me realise a few things and the main one was that the High Elves were not going to get done. As such I made the decision to sell them. Luckily a mate was starting High Elves to play 3rd Edition and happily took them off me for a price we were both happy with. I'm glad that they're sort of staying in the family and I'll get to see how they turn out.
Friday, 26 May 2017
If I'm honest, I haven't done enough with Halo Fleet Battles at my local club, they seem to have a collective wariness towards space games that don't come with a Star Wars sound track (I backed Dropfleet Commander and that hasn't picked up locally either). Anyway, I still love it and am going to be making a more concerted effort in the coming months to play more and write a bit more coverage of the new releases.
First up is the long awaited Autumn-class frigate which arrived this week, this release marks a new trend for Spartan because they are releasing ships as single blister packs now, this is great because it not only allows you to pick and chose individual ships but it also cuts the price down and reduces the wastage - for example, you get 4 Orion Assault Carriers in their box, realistically I'm only ever going to use 2 so I'm paying for 2 ships I'm probably never going to use.
How they didn't get round to making this ship sooner I don't know, the clamour for them to do this has been incessant since the game was first announced. The model is beautifully rendered though smaller than I expected it's not appreciably bigger than the ubiquitous Marathon Heavy cruiser. It comes, for the first time in a release, with a trio of pelican boarding craft which is a nice touch.
Stats wise things are looking familiar, the base ship is 100 points whilst the X is 110. With a damage track of 6.6.3 is nothing to shout about but it does have Defence Array 2 and Titanium Armour 2 which gives it some additional survivability over the Marathon. The Autumn also has a unique special rule which lets you re roll miss (skull) results on the initial MAC shot. This is huge and means that the Autumn is basically always at Firepower Rating 5 for her MAC cannon. It is slower than the Marathon with speed 6"
With the revised rules for the Marathon making Valiant cruisers viable for once I did wonder where the Autumn would fit in, my first impressions are that it is definitely worth the extra5 points over the marathon but probably won't be usurping the Valiant anytime soon. It's special rule mean it would be brutal in a unit of 3 or in pairs with a Halbred Axe element sniping bigger ships from the back line.
I'm hoping to get this painted up in the next few days. I'm going to be running a demonstration at our regional geek-convention in July and have a mini-game in mind for it.
What are your thoughts on this new unit?
Thursday, 25 May 2017
Friday, 19 May 2017
I recently took stock of everything I had going on at the moment and had a bit of a realisation - I have far too much stuff to do. In my office is an old passenger trunk, it's a hearty thing I got from an elderly neighbour a year or so ago, it is my 'project box' and contains all the stuff I still need to do, it's mostly full.
My current inventory stands at:
- Ultramarines - obviously! Lots of infantry (30+ models) a pair of Dreadnaughts and my Falchion Super Heavy tank needs finishing off.
- Raven Guard - I had a binge on them recently and now only an Assault Squad and then they're done. I'll post some pictures up soon.
- Night Lords - after the news that the next HH book is Angelus and my mate is set on a Dark Angels list I though it was time to put on my traitors cloak. I've drawn up a centurion list and have a pair of Terror squads, a volkite Support Squad, some Terminators and a big Tactical Squad to do.
GW Non Heresy:
- Space Marines - My Celestial lions have some tanks and a Dreadnaught that need finishing
- Eldar - 2 of the Start Collecting boxes, some Farseers and Eldrad plus a Cobra super heavy which I snapped up on eBay (pretty sure it's from Forge World China though)
- Harlequins - lots and lots of eBay purchases after the box game they put out - I've got just under 50 infantry and some skimmers to do. I think I've settled on a colour scheme of purple, black and gold I just need to get airbrushing.
- High Elves - too much to list
- Dark Elves - big blobs of Witch Elves and Black Guard plus a bolt Thrower and a cauldron of blood
- Shadow Wars - I've set on the Inquisition and have built up a warband, it's all primed I just need to get on with it.
- Halo Fleet Battles - My Orion heavy cruisers need detailing
- Beyond the Gates of Antares - I have an Algoryn army (I've got a draft article about the, somewhere) that has a few models to finish up.
- Infinity - the last few Aleph units
So yeah, quite a lot.
Saturday, 13 May 2017
I had the pleasure of attend the Weekender 2017 and snapped up the event only Custodes guy as well as a copy of Inferno and a few other small bits and pieces. Overall I thought the event was good but I was a bit flat that there were know Thousand Sons goodies for sale...
I've been airbrushing for a couple of years now but this is the first time I've been able to get a permanent setup. Our new house has a garage and I've commandeered the back of it for hobby purposes. The airbrush is a Badger Patriot 105 and it's a solid bit of kit. I've had a few blockage issues but that is certainly down to me not cleaning it properly. At the moment it's running quite smoothly and I've been knocking out a few things in the past couple of weeks. Most notable some Night Lords and Algoryn army for Beyond the Gates of Antares...
More on both of those in the future!
Apparently it's a popular thing that I have not shown any interest in at all. However, since listening to podcasts like the Sons of Heresy and the Eye of Horus Podcast, neither of which are big on Twitter, I have felt the need to get involved.
So, if you're on Instagram the site is on user name: Calthburns
So, if you're on Instagram the site is on user name: Calthburns
I took time off working on various Heresy projects to have a stab at the new Ahriman model. I've always been taken by this guy's ignoble fall-from-grace backstory and the transformation he goes through in the post-Heresy years. Working with a different pallet was nice, the jet black of the Raven Guard was starting to grind me down.